Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Crazy Memories- Brownies for Sale


I once sold enough brownies in 2 days to buy an airline ticket. I had just gone to college at BYU and was missing my boyfriend left behind in California. I hadn’t starting dating Greg yet. But I had met him. He was coming over to our apartment very often to supposedly visit my roommates . Later, I found out he was really coming to see me and get to know me better. I had been gone from home less than a month. My roommate wanted to go see a missionary off in LA. We started talking about how we could make money. We knew our parents would never go for a trip this soon in our college career. I got this brainy idea. I figured boys are always hungary and they will pretty much eat anything, especially sweets. So I brainstormed with myself for an hour and decided “Jiffy Brownies” from “ Reams” ( those of you who went to BYU in 1971 will remember it) A big warehouse with cheap prices.As I figured out my overhead, I decided i could not afford eggs or frosting. So I made them with water and dusted them with powdered sugar. I charged $1.00 a plate.
My roommate Laurie was with me on spirit on Sunday night.....but by Monday morning she had chickened out. Said we could never pull it off. Well that made be all the more determined. All my roommates said it couldn’t be done...very unrealistic. They didn’t know me very well.
So I ran home from school on Monday and then ran to Reams to buy brownie mixes. I borrowed all the 9x13 pans I could in my apartment complex, since we only had 2. I started mixing and baking. By 6 or 7 pm came, I was ready to sell. I went to boys apartments and had them all dig deep for their change until they had a dollar. I made alot of friends and even had a few date proposals. One guy named Robb in my ward, said he would only buy some if I gave him a kiss ( kind of showing off for his roommates and some of mine)....I called his bluff and kissed him so he had to buy the brownies. There is a little continuing saga with him...but that is for another post.Tuesday morning, I got up and started baking again. I went out selling all afternoon.I came home for dinner. Funny thing, Greg showed up at our apartment and offered to drive us to Mutual. I asked him to buy some...he said no he wasn’t going to contribute to me going to see another guy. He was kidding.....but not really. That was my first clue he was interested. He tells the story of me buttoning my white blouse and swinging my shirt around and he came all “undone”. Who knew such a small thing could have such a big impact. Anyway, I took sacks of brownies with me. Another guy I was kind of dating, had offered to take me home. I asked him to stop me off for an errand at the dorms ( Deseret Towers). I went in the lobby and sold all my brownies to freshman boys while he was waiting in the parking lot. Little did I know, greg and his friend Danny were in their watching me. It was so embarrassed when I saw them. I was 18..they were 25.They had alot of fun teasing me. But that night Greg called me when I got home and asked me out for the weekend after I got home from seeing my “ boyfriend”Luckily I sold them very quickly, so the guy in the parking lot wasn’t waiting too long. I know it was pretty outrageous of me. But a girl has to do what she has to do. I didn’t have a car and it was dark and a long walk. I went out with that guy again so I wasn’t completely using him :)
I sold a few more Wednesday morning and by noon, I went to the travel agency and bought my ticket with cash. My roommates and my whole apartment complex couldn’t believe it. I was bound and determined. I flew home and had a great time.
I started dating Greg often,but was still dating others. By Christmas, I had broken up with my California boyfriend and was dating Greg full time.
I sold brownies 2 more times to go visit Greg in Nebraska when he went home to work. He had to pay his dad back for some school debts. I would pay my way there and he would pay my way back.I think he knew I was in it for the long haul, when I was willing to sell brownies for him. Funny thing is I never made a Jiffy brownie mix agin after that.

1 comments:

Leslie said...

and this is the "full" brownie story I assume? I love it! You are so industrious...always the problem solver.

 
template by suckmylolly.com