Monday, April 7, 2008

You know how I feel about Bananas


Well growing up, my mom always told me how good bananas were for me....all the potasuim and all. So I have always eaten them for sound nutrition...usually at least one a day. If you want to read about all the health benefits, go here.

And I have actually become quasi-famous for my banana bread over the years. It is the most requested recipe from my collection. I only give it out, if you really want it. Most people don't want the recipe, they just want me to make it for them. I pretty much make it every week for someone. My nail girl loves it....but only fresh out of the oven...never from the freezer. She doesn't hold back much. I have been asking her about her" buddist faith while getting my nails done....she teaches me alot.

Back to the bananas..you know how I get side-tracked. So I gave all my babies bananas.....now my kids are banana snobs.....they will only eat them when they are the prefect texture and color. Which is for about 1 day. But Lindsay at least loves to cook with them. She sent me this recipe yesterday and it sounds awesome. So if you have some bananas hanging ( no pun intended) around....and you want to get healthy.... ok.... sort of healthy.......make these fun little bars.

Banana Bars by Lindsay and Regan's mom ( and soon to be Suzie)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine softened
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups ripe bananas mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla (*see note)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Directions:

Cream together sugar and margarine. Add sour cream then blend in eggs & vanilla (*if imitation vanilla is used, use 2 teaspoons). Mix dry ingredients together. Add dry ingrecients gradually, alternating with bananas until completely mixed. Add nuts if desired. Bake in greased & floured cookie sheet, 12x17 or 9x13 cake pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let cool then frost with ready made cream cheese frosting or this recipe for "Cream Cheese Frosting"
For the cream cheese frosting: 1 8oz package cream cheese, 5 tbs butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 C. powdered sugar.

Happy Baking!

PS. And if you are reading my blog, please send me a new recipe you love, even if you don't want to comment. We could become recipe bloggers.....another thing to add to our resumes.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

HEY SUZIE!

I LOVE KEEPING UP WITH YOU THRU YOUR BLOG. HOW FUN IT IS! I WANT YOUR BANANA BREAD RECIPE. I HAVE NEVER FOUND ONE THAT I REALLY LIKE AND I LOVE BANANA BREAD! THIS RECIPE LOOKS GOOD TOO. I AM EXCITED TO TRY IT! THANKS SO MUCH! KEEP ON BLOGGING!

Laurene Ross said...

Brown Butter frosting would be really good on these. I will get you the recipe soon.Thanks for all the comments. You are awesome.

regan said...

captivating post suz, might i persuade you to post on the benefits of broccoli? i am trying to convince lindsay to start eating it

Lindsay Marie said...

mom, I am LOVING that you change your music for every post. It seriously cracks me up. I was telling Regan how funny it was and he said, "are you surprised? she decorates the bathroom for mother's day... she doesn't leave anything undone!"

So, true... and it makes it so fun to read what you have to say each day.

 
template by suckmylolly.com