




It is officially summertime. I have been reflecting on all the fun things I used to get to do as a kid. Mostly trips to the beach in sunny California and to Lake Powell waterskiing with my family and several other families we used to vacation with. I remember lots of zinc oxide on my nose and red-hot sunburns. I went to Malibu, Zuma, Capenteria, Santa Barbara and Newport beaches the most when I was young. Although I really went to all the beaches up and down PCH at one time or another. Trips to Disneyland were often, especially when my Utah and Kansas cousins came to town. I also remember all the beauty of God's creations and the relaxing time it was. And of course all the 4th of July celebrations I enjoyed on my birthday. Too bad I didn't figure out we were celebrating Independence Day until I was 5. I thought all the hoopla was just for me. Ruined me, it did.
I pretty much grew up going to the beach alot. My mom used to make these amazing picnic lunches when I was young.... my older cousins always talk about.....fried chicken, fresh green beans, potato salad, homemade cookies. My mom was Martha Stewart before her time. Once when I was 3, I went back to the wrong blanket...we had so many relatives I didn't really know. I didn't recognize them, so I kept walking..the wrong way. I walked one mile down the beach to the last lifeguard station before I was found. The cute, young lifeguard ( I remember that part:) fed me an entire box of milky ways so I would stop crying. It was starting to get dark and my mom was sick to her stomach and really scared. There were so many people on the beach, it was hard to see little tiny me. We didn't have the kind of communication back in the dark ages we have today. She used to tell me the story....I can now appreciate it more..... being a mother and grandmother.
I remember lots of fun dates to the beach and great beach parties when I was a teenager. It was so fun to have a campfire at the beach....and a little skinny dipping with just the girls in the dead of night. I remember one party at my friends condo..boys and girls all day and then sleeping over. She was one of my best friends. I wanted to stay over with all the other kids, but my dad said no. I called him and tried to tell him it was raining and too dangerous to drive. Amazing how when I wanted to go somewhere in the rain, I was the best and safest driver. He reminded me of that and told me to drive home slow and safe. I was about 2 hours away from home. I was mad and even sad at the time, but now I salute my dad for holding the line. I don't think there were any parents there chaperoning...you know crazy, wild California. My dad was a great dad and very wise. I had alot of experiences at the beach where I know a guardian angel was watching over me.
And when I was married, my folks bought a condo at Laguna Niguel in Laguna beach, California. So that is where my family
( Greg and my kids) spent alot of summer vacations. Their condo had the the most beautiful view of the ocean. I loved having breakfast out on their patio in the most perfect weather you will ever enjoy. And eating great mexican food and fabulous breakfasts at a local diner.It is a beautiful place. We had so many good times there. I miss that and my folks. I wish we still owned it.....it would be worth alot now. Shoulda..coulda...woulda. I usually go stay near their condo in Laguna when I go to California to satisfy my memories.
I also remember many trips to Nebraksa with Greg and the kids. We saw lots of things but mostly just fun hanging out in Arnold at Greg's parents house. Grandpa had a riding lawnmower with a wagon attached and the kids loved to ride around the circle with all the beautiful marigolds they planted every year. There was so much land, the kids could just play outside forever. We all remember Kathryn's ( Greg's mom) slushy punch and homemsde hamburger buns. I think we all like to make that punch. The kids loved to play on the merry-go- round in the yard and the round and round bed in the basement.I loved to go to the Arnold cafe for soup and salad on Friday nights. Or for breakfast or a hot roast beef sandwich anytime. I loved how they brought you your piece of pie before the meal...alot of people used to eat it first. They had the best food...and you could even just charge in to CO ( Greg's dad):) One of the things I love about small towns. I remember several great family reunions with all the cousins, some in Arnold but mostly in Utah or Wyoming. We have lots of cute pictures of all the families in matching T-shirts. My kids have great memories of fun summers everywhere.
I don't love summer time in Virginia because of the humidity. Although, I have to say this year has been pretty good so far.It is beautiful and green and flowers abound...so I can't really complain. Greg and I like to go to our outdoor mall on Friday nights and listen to the live bands they have every week. We get a fun, cold drink and just sit and relax and talk. There is always a cool breeze where we sit and so relaxing. Last night I had a lime smoothie from Squeeze. I sat there just reminiscing about summer and all the good times I have had in my life. And I hope many more to come.
Summertime when the living is easy.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Summertime: when the livin' is easy!
Posted by Suzie Soda at 9:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
HI SUZIE!
I REMEMBER THE SANDALS THAT YOU MADE THAT HAD NO SOLES! I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE CUTE! SUMMER IN CALIFORNIA WAS GREAT. THANKS FOR BRINGING BACK CHILDHOOD MEMORIES FOR ME! WE HAD A LOT OF FUN WARD MEMORIES AS WELL. WE HAD A GREAT WARD.
Post a Comment