Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grammy Katie's Fabulous Quilts






Greg's mom, Kathryn Romans, is a fabulous quilter. She is almost 83, has 5 children and 27 grandchildren, and at least 18 great grandchildren. She has been making many different kinds of quilts for years. She makes the quilts mostly for gifts but her latest venture is selling them at craft shows and on ETSY


If you go there, you can see all of her great work. I have shown just a few of them below.

She has made one for all of her great-grandchildren and I think is making one for all the grandchildren to have as a keepsake.

The top pictures, show her having a sale with her daughter Cynthia ( who also makes quilts). She flew down to Arizona to help her at her neighborhood clubhouse sale. Cynthia has made a tied Christmas baby quilt for all of my grandchildren.

She has also many many cute aprons that she has given for Christmas the past few years.


Her mother, Lucy, also made quilts for many years. We even have one on Lindsay's bed and a few other ones including baby quilts. She did beautiful appliqué on many of them and hand quilted them. She died at 93, lived alone and was making quilts up until the end.

Kathryn has made many creative ones overs the years, especially when the kids were babies.
But in the last several years, she has been making these baby quilts using all her scraps up from all the years of sewing she has done. And let me tell you, it is alot. Sometimes she has to buy a few extra colors, to finish one off. She appliqué's all of them and then sends them to a lady in Utah to do the machine quilting. They are truly works of art with alot of detail and perfect handmandship.

Several years ago, she made an activity quilt for each of her children's family and one for a close relative. You can't imagine the work that was involved. I can't imagine having the patience and fortitude it takes to pull this off. Kathryn is one of the most industrious women I know.

. Kathryn helped Lindsay make a pink pieced quilt for one of her YW projects when she was 14 when we were there on vacation. It turned out beautiful and will be a wonderful memory for Lindsay.It is a wonderful heritage to pass on

The later pictures are samples of many of her quilts.

Thanks Grandma Katee for all your hard work.

















3 comments:

Heather Payne said...

Wow! I love it. I've tried just enough quilting to really appreciate all of her hard work. I love the results. What a cool tribute to a neat woman.

Sheri said...

These are beautiful! What an amazing woman! I have never really enjoyed quilting so I truely appreciate the work that they take! You are blessed!

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm dying for the hippo!
and the owl!
and the bird!
and the dinosaur!

These are SO cute.

 
template by suckmylolly.com