Monday, January 12, 2009

Friends Forever: Memories of the Good Ol' Days



I just received these pictures from a very dear friend, Carolyn Ward, today.She found them in a box when she was going through things. We served together in the church in Illinois for many years.I lived there 9 years. Greg was the Bishop there for about 3 years right before we moved. And her husband, Fred, has been the Bishop there a few years back.We served first in the RS ( this is our presidency) and then in YW. We had so many good times and did so much together. We used to have most of our meetings in my home, while the kids played in an awesome playroom in the 4th level basement with and indoor jungle gym Greg built. My friend Caroloyn Ward bought my house when we moved. I was so happy she got it and she still lives there today. We used to go out to a great restaurant, Jumers, to celebrate special occasions. We helped our other friend, Carolyn Biliter, do both of her boys wedding receptions at Christmas time...I made a zillion homemade rolls and froze them in my chest freezer and Carolyn made 10 lbs. of this yummy, yummy chicken salad she was famous for. And I know Bev Hayes did something too..just can't remember what it was. It was a crazy time. We put on so many RS and YW functions, baby showers,birthday parties, etc. I have wonderful memories of good times together and an eternal friendship that will forever be. I still have the "friendship" caligraphy poem Carolyn made me when I moved hanging in my home many , many years later. I had some other very special friends from Illinois that I still keep in touch with. Members and non-members alike. In fact, I quote my friend Emma Turner, at least several times a year. My friend Beth and I are close and travel together. My junior women's league craft group friends are very dear to me today. Greg and I together are friends with many of the couples in our early years raising kids. And fabulous neighbors we did block parties with and hung out with a little each day. We spent many holidays together when we weren't with family. We have great, great memories of our days living there.

It was freezing cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer but we thought we were in the Garden of Eden.
It was the people. It is always the people. Life is all about the people and the relationships we share. The older I get , the more I realize this and the more I appreciate it. I have always known it, but getting these pictures tonight, and going down memory lane, reminded me once again. RELATIONSHIPS are everything.

Life happens, and the most important part is the relationships we have with our family and friends.I love. love. love these girls I served with and many others from my days in Illinois. I love to think about good times with them..it makes me smile.

5 comments:

Laurene Ross said...

I love the pics! So fun to hear old memories. Isn't there a quote about Memories keeping us warm on cold nights. Glad you are my friend and we have a lot of memories to make!

Leslie said...

What a great post, Suz. I agree about the importance of relationships in this life (even if I'm not always the best at them). I am so glad that you have had so many cherished friends in your life and that you can be one of mine.

Carlie said...

Oh my Gosh Suzie - those pictures are so great - Now I see where Denton get's his looks.

TnT said...

Those sure were great times! I still cherish those friendships, too. What the heck are you quoting from me?!??!

Suzie Soda said...

Emma, I always quote" Are you part of the problem, or part of the solution?"..for years.

And then your latest: " Your lack of preparation doesn't constitute an emergency on my part"..or something like that. It is on my fridge.

You are so wise. :) xoxoxox

 
template by suckmylolly.com