Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy 57th Birthday to Me! July 4th 2010

I had Greg take this one to show more of my shirt and necklace but he didin't tell me my lipstick smeared.....men....he didn't even notice. Can you believe it?


It is not easy taking a picture of yourself. I wanted to get my "flashing star necklace" that Tamara gave me this year in the picture as well as my 4th of July shirt I wear every year on the 4th. I have so much 4th of July garb...I could have chosen 1 of 5 purses today and a host of different jewelry. Scary, I know. I may have to have Greg take another picture of me when he gets home.

We are going to a party at a friend's house today on July 3 and then I will be watching the fireworks on HD TV on the 4th ( Capitol 4th in DC) again this year. Last year I finally made peace with the fact that no one wants to go watch "live" fireworks" with me anymore. My family usually complains about the weather and the crowds and whatever. Where is my dad when I need him? He always made sure we either did fireworks at home ( he worked the Rotary fireworks stand in the am every year) or we went somewhere grand. I was 5 years old when I finally realized the fireworks were for the 4th of July not just my birthday. It might explain few things about me. How Un-American of this Romans family. They tell me I can't guilt them into it just because it is my birthday. Oh well.....no respect :) My kids all have their own plans now anyway. But I enjoyed watching Aretha last year in my air conditioning with a diet pepsi with crushed ice and rocking out all by myself in my family room ( tragic I know) It was like I was sitting in the front row. This year Gladys Knight will be there. I am looking forward to it. The fireworks actually look great on these new flat screens. I just sit and reminisce about all the cool places I have seen live fireworks in my life. It would probably be hard to go somewhere with my bad knee anyway. I am turing into my grandma ( sort of).

Lindsay just reminded me that she/Regan were with me watching TV last year. I guess I am turning into my grandma...but at a much earlier age. I know I DVR'd it and watched it again . That must have been when I was by myself rocking out. Memories...if you can't remember them you just make them up. Heaven help me:)

I have had a fun birthday so far..... celebrating since Father's Day. I have been opening gifts, receiving cards, going out to eat with friends, talking on the phone and all kinds of things for a couple of weeks now. I have a great family and great friends who do many special things to remember me. I am lucky indeed.

For the first time in 37 years, I couldn't get out my 4th of July decorations this year because of my bad knee. Hopefully it will be fixed next year and I can go hog wild. No interventions please.

But I still have my patriotic spirit. God Bless America, land that I love.

5 comments:

Lindsay Marie said...

I watched Capitol 4th with you last year!!! Your memory must be fading in your old age :)

Hope you have a happy birthday!

Lindsay Marie said...

ps- that cracked me up about your smeared lipstick. cute necklace.

Courtney said...

Happy birthday!

Laurene Ross said...

Happy Birthday cute girl!!!! I know your memory is like a steel trap. I love your pictures. I wish I were there to celebrate with you....have an awesome day:)

Catherine said...

Happy BIrthday!!

 
template by suckmylolly.com