Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Trip to Alabama









This year I was asked to be a guest speaker at a multi-stake youth conference at Troy State for 750 people. I was there 20 years ago as a stake YW president doing a tri-stake youth conference. My counselor Carol, was there too. I hadn't seen her for 20 years. She lives in Dothan , Alabama. Her stake was one of the stakes represented.....not my old stake. So I flew into Birmingham. My good friend Marilyn ( she was my secretary) picked me up and drove me to Troy, where we reunited with Carol. We had a blast going down memory lane......laughed our heads off. It is amazing how with good friends you just pick up where you left off. It was like yesterday we were there. We stayed in a brand new Mariott Courtyard overnight and then went to the college the next morning for my talk. I spoke 1 hour on Integrity. Of course you know i told the Elvis story, which is always a hit. I think it went pretty well...got some good feedback. Thanks Chelsea and Lindsay for editing my talk....they made sure I didn't embarrass myself or the family :) The stake leaders were very gracious and gave me some gift cards as a thank you. We went to lunch and then had to say good bye.

Marilyn drove us back to Birmingham where we started our girls weekend Friday night. These are the girls I have been traveling with for 25 years. Except Angie didn't get to come. We missed her. The last time we were all together in Birmingham was 3 years ago for Theresa's son, Kirk's, funeral. It was a sad time. This time we stayed in the Residence Inn Inverness right outside my old neighborhood. We lived there for 3 weeks after the fire. We had a great day doing all kinds of things. I even went by the old neighborhood which looked fabulous. The 2 grocery stores I used to shop at (Bruno's and Food World) were both out of business. But I did get Jim and Nick's Barbecue.....the best I have ever had. Sunday we went to church in Hoover ( my old ward where Greg was Bishop for 6 years). I still knew about 20 people. Everyone was really friendly and nice.
Then we went to RS at Marilyn's ward ( she is RS president) in Alabaster They finally have a beautiful new building. They have been driving a long way to church for many years and it is so nice they can now have one close. Greg's old ward clerk is the Bishop.It was old home week there seeing many old friends. It was so much fun.

Then we had a gourmet lunch cooked my Marilyn's son-in-law,Dean, which was fabulous. Took a nap and then on to the next party. My dear friend Karen Walker hosted a fabulous shin-dig southern living style.... to welcome me back. She made wonderful food and her house looked beautiful. She always does everything so nice. Many girls came which made me feel really special. I have been gone 18 years so we had a lot of catch up on. I have been back to visit several times but haven't seen many for a long time. We had a great time catching up on each other's lives. I love these sisters and will always have a special place in my heart for them. Thanks Karen.....it was awesome.

I felt bad I didn't have time to go visit other friends and neighbors when I was so close. I didn't even call them because I knew I couldn't go see them. I made a deal with these girls years ago that we wouldn't visit anybody else unless we all knew them. It is hard to cram everything into 2 days. I flew home Monday morning.

It was a great trip and I am so glad I got to go. Great friendships are forever and I am so glad I have these people in my life.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com